Fishery characterisation and CPUE analysis of GUR 1 and 2

Trophia has been contracted by the New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries :

  1. To characterise the GUR 1 and GUR 2 fisheries.

  2. To analyse existing commercial catch and effort data to the end of 2008/09 fishing year and undertake a CPUE standardisation.

Annual landings of GUR 1 have been relatively stable since 1986–87, generally ranging between 900 and 1300 t; substantially lower than the 2287 t TACC. About 60% of the GUR 1 total is taken from FMA 1, as a bycatch of a number of fisheries including inshore trawl fisheries for snapper, John dory and tarakihi. The remaining 40% is taken from FMA 9, mainly as a bycatch of the snapper and trevally inshore trawl fisheries.

GUR 2 landings have fluctuated within the range of 400–700 t since 1991–92, typically well below the TACC. In addition to the target fishery off Mahia, red gurnard are taken as a bycatch of the tarakihi, trevally and snapper inshore trawl fisheries

MFish does not have a tool with which to monitor the abundance of these GUR stocks. In order to assess the stocks the GUR 1 and 2 fisheries need to be characterised and, a CPUE standardization should be attempted.